Garbhakranti Pregnancy Yoga :
How does Yoga help me in pregnancy ?
- With yoga, I can combat stress & anxiety during pregnancy.
- Yoga helps me gain victory over my mind and attitude and gain a healthy body.
- During pregnancy, physical as well as mental fitness is required, with which I can bear the strain of pregnancy and delivery.
- The good thing is that, Yoga is concerned with mental health as well as physical health.
- If my heart, lungs & muscles are in good condition, If I know correct breathing techniques , if I am mentally & physically relaxed , my dream baby will grow well , I will have a much easier & safer delivery & hence much faster recovery . Yoga will help me in this.
- Yoga helps me condition the specific areas and group of muscles needed for a healthy pregnancy & delivery.
- It strengthens my body so that my dream baby grows well.
- During pregnancy, unique changes take place as the uterus [body organ where my dream baby resides for nine months of pregnancy] expands to about twenty times its usual size.
- Due to this, there is upwards and backwards displacement of my bowel loops. This leads to a feeling of heaviness of body.
- Fear factor and some apprehensions make the mind stressful during pregnancy.
- To combat all these situations, Ayurveda has given a key to success for pregnant women called Yoga.
Yogasana are one of the parts of Yoga :
- I should do Yogasana regularly during pregnancy as Yogasana help me as follows :…………..
- Yogasana make me more energetic.
- It drives away my mental stress & fear.
- It helps in preventing and reducing low backache during pregnancy.
- It provides more oxygen to me and hence my dream baby.
- It helps in my normal bowel movements and helps in avoiding constipation
- It increases flexibility of muscles and hence helps in having normal delivery.
- It helps me keep myself fit during and after pregnancy and retains and enhance my beauty during and after pregnancy.
- Breast ligaments can be strengthened to help prevent sagging of breasts post delivery.
Basic principles of Yogasana & Dinacharya :
- Ayurveda has described an ideal, ‘Dinacharya’[activities to be done in a day] which should be followed by a person to have a healthy life.
- This Dinacharya changes as per the season and is called as ‘Rutucharya’.
- If I follow this Dinacharya, it will be really beneficial for me and my dream baby.
- The time before sunrise is called as Brahma Muhurta.
Time of Yogasana & meditation :
- Brahma Muhurta is the best time for meditation or Yogasana or doing work.
- The mind is fresh after a good night’s sleep, the atmosphere as well as the mind are serene & pure.
- There is Satva Guna inside the person as well as in the atmosphere.
- The best time to do Yogasana & meditation is Brahma Muhurta but if it is not possible then it should be done in the morning hours / evening hours.
- I should get up early in the morning & if possible before sunrise.
- Only if it is not possible to do Yogasana in the morning, then it can be done in the evening.
- Yogasana should always be done on an empty stomach.
- After getting up in the morning, first basic cleansing of the body like defecation [ passing stools ] , urination etc should be done.
- After that, I will brush my teeth.
- Then I will take bath with warm water.
- After bath, I will pray to Almighty.
- Yogasana should preferably be done after Pranayama .
- I should put a carpet on the floor to do Yogasana.
- Yogasana should not be done sitting directly on the floor.
- There should be a time gap of minimum 4 hours after eating to do Yogasana.
- Generally 4 hours is the time taken for stomach emptying hence this time should be minimum 4 hours.
- I should not eat/ drink water while doing Yogasana.
Attire / clothes during Yogasana :
- The attire / dress used while doing Yogasana should be loose & comfortable.
- It should not be skin fit/ tight fitting.
Place of Yogasana :
- The place should be calm & quite as far as possible.
- If it is not possible to have a calm & quite place, then that should not stop one from doing Yogasana / meditation.
- Yogasana / meditation themselves give calmness to body & mind.
Ambience for Yogasana & meditation :
- Incense sticks [Dhoop] should be used to create a pleasant atmosphere.
- Lamp of cow`s ghee [Goghruta] should be lighted at the place to cleanse the atmosphere. Lamp should be kept at a safe place.
Time duration of Yogasana :
- A pregnant woman is like a vessel of oil full to the brim.
- Just as a vessel needs to be taken with absolute care with careful handling; similarly I should carry myself from one place to another with utmost care; hence I should not strain myself while doing Yogasana during pregnancy.
- It is OK even if I do not get the ideal recommended posture of Yogasana & I should not strain unnecessarily to get the same.
- The time duration of each Yogasana should be increased very gradually which should be comfortable to me and my dream baby.
- Only the following recommended Yogasana should be followed as all Yogasana are not recommended during pregnancy.
- I can count the duration of each Yogasana by counting numbers and increase gradually.
- As my dream baby is growing, in the later stages of pregnancy, I may feel tired while doing Yogasana & Pranayama .
- When I get tired , I should take rest.
- I should never lie on my tummy while doing Yogasana.
- Medical advice of my gynaecologist should always be taken before starting Yogasana.
The Yogasana which should be practiced during pregnancy are :
It is advisable to practice only the above Yogasana during pregnancy.
Vajrasana in pregnancy :
- Vajra means very strong.
- Vajrasan helps me become strong like iron.
How do I do Vajrasana ?
- I will sit straight in a kneeling position.
- I will slip my toes to join at the back.
- My heels will be apart.
- I will place my buttocks in the cavity thus formed.
- My thighs should be together.
- I will rest my both hands on my knees.
- I will take in deep breath slowly [ inhalation ] and take out deep breath slowly [ exhalation ]
- I will remain in this position for as much time as I am comfortable.
- I will not strain myself to do this and will go on increasing the duration everyday slowly, steadily and regularly.
How does Vajrasana help me during Pregnancy ?
- Vajrasana strengthens my back [spine], legs & thighs to bear extra pelvic weight due to my dream baby’s weight & my weight gain in pregnancy.
- This asana will help me in having normal delivery.
- It also helps me to prevent backache.
- It helps in my normal bowel movements & helps in avoiding constipation.
- Vajrasana can be my sitting position after lunch as well as dinner [ at home ] instead of sitting in chair.
- It helps in digestion.
Parvatasana in pregnancy :
- Parvata means mountain.
How do I do Parvatasana ?
- I will sit in Vajrasana.
- Taking deep breath slowly, I will raise my both hands stretching upwards & lock my fingers.
- I will hold my breath for a moment.
- I will breathe out slowly [exhale] & relax to normal.
- I will do this for as much time as I am comfortable without straining.
How does Parvatasana help me ?
- Parvatasana helps to relieve backache.
- It strengthens my chest muscles.
- It provides more oxygenated blood to my body & hence to my dream baby which is essential during pregnancy.
Gomukhasana in pregnancy :
- Gomukha means the face of cow.
How will I do Gomukhasana ?
- I will sit in Sukhasana [ my both legs in folded condition as shown in Dhyana position ]
- I will raise my right arm, simultaneously turn left hand, take behind & try to catch both hands with fingers as much as possible without straining.
- I will lock both hands with the help of my fingers.
- It may not be possible to go to the condition of locking the fingers of both hands due to development of my body during pregnancy.
- I will try to maintain this posture for five seconds to ten seconds as per my tolerance without straining.
- I will repeat on the other side by raising left arm.
How does Gomukhasana help me in pregnancy ?
- Gomukhasana provides flexibility to my shoulders & cervical spine.
- It tones up my chest [pectoral] muscles and leads to deeper breathing.
- It helps in providing more oxygen to me and my dream baby.
- Gomukhasana is especially useful, as after pregnancy breasts tend to lose their tone.
- It helps in toning of breast holding ligaments.
Marjarasana in pregnancy :
- Marjara means cat .
- The alternate convex and concave postures of spine that a cat does are useful for the flexibility of the spine.
How do I do Marjarasana?
- I will bend on both knees.
- Taking deep breath, I will stretch back spine upwards to make concave [ curved inside , dipped ] shape & hold inhaled breath for 10 to 15 seconds, then relax by taking breath out [exhale].
- Now I will repeat the same with giving a convex [ curved outside, rounded ] shape to the spine & raise head upwards , hold breath for 10 to 15 seconds. Then I will relax by taking breath out [exhale].
How does Marjarasana help me ?
- Marjarasana strengthens the spine [ backbone ] ligaments & provides extra flexibility to pelvic [ waist ] muscles to tackle the backache due to dream baby weight gain during pregnancy.
Utkatasana in pregnancy :
How do I do Utkatasana ?
- I will stand erect keeping feet parallel.
- I will raise both hands parallel keeping palms down facing to floor.
- Simultaneously I will take breath slowly.
- I will try to sit in squatting position in a standing position only.
- Simultaneously I will take breath out slowly [exhale].
- I will do this Asana for as much time as I am comfortable without straining myself.
How does Utkatasana help me ?
- Utkatasana strengthens my pelvic and thigh muscles to combat extra weight gain in pregnancy.
- It helps in preventing low backache.
- It helps in normal delivery.
Trikonasana in pregnancy :
- Trikona means triangle.
How do I do Trikonasana ?
- I will stand erect keeping both feet apart at a moderate distance.
- I will take breath in simultaneously [inhalation].
- I will fold right hand in elbow & I will keep right hand on my waist simultaneously.
- I will raise my left hand upwards and try to bend body on right side in the same plane.
- I will try to remain in this position till the time I am comfortable.
- Slowly by taking breath out [exhalation], I will resume to normal position.
- I will repeat the same process on the other side.
How does Trikonasana help me ?
- Trikonasana strengthens my back [spine ligaments] & provides extra flexibility to pelvic muscles to tackle the backache due to weight gain during pregnancy.
Baddhakonasana in pregnancy :
How do I do Baddhakonasana ?
- I will sit with both legs outstretched.
- I will take in breath slowly [inhalation] & drag both feet towards groin to touch them at soles and heels touching each other in the centre.
- I will keep both hands straight and rest my hands on knees with thumb and index fingers touching each other.
- After 10 to 15 seconds , I will take breath out [exhalation] & resume to normal posture.
How does Baddhakonasana help me ?
- Baddhakonasana strengthens pelvic muscles and inner thigh muscles to bear extra pelvic weight in pregnancy.
Shavasana in pregnancy :
- Facing upwards, I will lie down on the back & close my eyes.
- I will keep both legs and hands apart at a moderate distance.
- I will relax every part of my body.
- I will relax my body completely starting from toes of feet and taking my mind to each part of mind.
- I will give the message to my mind that …
- Now my feet are relaxing.
- Now my hands are relaxing.
- Similarly, I will give this message to each and every part of my body.
- I will give these messages starting from toes till I reach head.
- I will consciously try to remove all the thoughts from my mind and relax my mind by emptying it.
- I will maintain this position at least for ten minutes taking a slow & deep breath.
How does Shavasana help me ?
- 10 minutes of Shavasana everyday is a great relaxant.
- Shavasana relaxes my body.
- It relieves my mental stress.
- It preserves my positive attitude & my confidence, helps to provide more oxygen to my body.
- Shavasana helps me in a healthy pregnancy, normal delivery and helps in good growth of my dream baby.