Smoking during pregnancy :
Smoking should not be done at all during pregnancy in any form.
- I will prohibit my husband from smoking.
- At office or outside the home, I will not expose myself to people who smoke.
- Baby`s growth can get reduced due to smoking.
- Each puff of smoke releases thousands of poisonous chemicals and gases which enter through blood and go to the baby.
- These poisonous chemicals slow down baby’s brain growth and also slow down overall growth of baby.
- Smoking is also very harmful for me.
- Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer causing compounds and 400 other toxins.
- These include :
- Carbon Monoxide
- as well as other harmful substances.
- Among all, nicotine is very addictive.
- Nicotine is quickly absorbed and reaches the brain.
- Nicotine causes release of chemicals which give false feeling of pleasure and energy.
- Within 30 minutes, this false feeling goes and one feels depressed and tired.
- The number of cigarettes goes on increasing as the body sets up high tolerance levels for nicotine.
- Craving for nicotine increases when emotional stress increases.
- Nicotine is known to cross the placenta reaching levels in the amniotic fluid and reaches baby.
- Nicotine slows down baby’s growth by narrowing blood vessels through which baby gets nutrition.
Carbon Monoxide :
- Carbon Monoxide has a higher attraction for hemoglobin than oxygen, quickly forming the compound carboxyhemoglobin which is unable to carry oxygen.
- The formation of this carboxyhemoglobin in red blood cells leads to a potential for decreased oxygen delivery to the baby and baby suffers due to lack of oxygen.
Harmful effects of smoking on baby :
- Smoking increases infertility [ less chances of conceiving baby ].
- Smoking leads to harmful substances like nicotine and carbon monoxide reaching the baby which are harmful to the baby.
- Smoking decreases oxygen supply to the baby and the baby suffers.
- It leads to decreased growth of the baby and decreased weight of the baby.
- Smoking can affect brain development of the baby.
- Smoking increases chances of abortion.
Harmful effects of smoking on me :
- Smoking increases stress.
- Smoking causes bronchospasm [constriction of my airways].
- It increases cough production.
- It causes persistent cough.
- Smoking decreases physical performance.
- Smoking narrows blood vessels.
- This increases heart rate & increases workload on heart.
- it increases blood pressure.
- Smoking causes gastric reflux & acidity.
- It can cause peptic ulcer [stomach ulcer].
- Smoking causes mouth diseases.
- Smoking weakens immunity [ fighting power ]
Benefits of quitting smoking: It is worthwhile quitting smoking at any stage.
How to quit Smoking ?
- Quitting smoking is a matter of mind over body.
- Anyone can quit smoking with the help of will power.
- Decide firmly that at least for the sake of my baby` s health I will quit smoking.
- Due to Pranayama increased oxygen is made available in the body.
- Pranayama also gives the mind power to quit smoking.
- Craving for smoking can be suppressed by following Pranayama.
- Following things in Garbhakranti Success Path will definitely help to quit smoking :
- Following Garbhakranti lifestyle.
- Doing regular Yogasana.
- Doing regular Pranayama.
- Doing regular Meditation.
- Meditation increases will power & brings about physical changes in body which help to quit smoking.