What food should I take during pregnancy ?
- The type of diet, behavior & lifestyle which is adopted by mother & father affects the baby & results in a similar baby.
- Every individual on earth needs proper nutrition.
- Proper nutrition is essential from early stage of life that is prior to conception.
- Nutrition is a basic need to lead a healthy & active life. Nutritionally adequate diet should be consumed from a variety of foods.
- Nutrients that we acquire through food have vital effects on physical growth & development, maintenance of normal body function, physical activity & health.
- Our diet must accomplish all essential nutrients in the required amount.
- In pregnancy the expectant mother needs additional nutrients to meet the demand for the baby`s growth and maternal tissue expansion.
- Cereals, millets and pulses are major sources of all essential nutrients.
- I should eat variety of food to ensure balanced diet.
- A balanced diet is the one which provides all the nutrients in required amounts and proper proportions.
- When we talk about pregnancy the diet of every lady should be easy to digest, safe, clean and hygienic.
- Healthy and positive food concepts and cooking practices should be adopted.
- The diet during pregnancy should contain larger amounts of tissue building and protective food.
- The balanced diet for pregnancy contains ample amount of all the vital nutrients required to maintain the health of the pregnant woman & the baby which is developing in her womb.
- A sensible permutation and combination of cereals, pulses & nuts helps in meeting the protein and energy requirement.
- I should consume a variety of seasonal vegetables, fruits, milk and milk products to meet the vitamins and minerals requirement.
- Every day supplements of iron, folic acid etc. as advised by gynecologist are also recommended to preserve proper health.
Garbhkranti diet principles :
- The food taken in proper quantity provides strength , complexion , happy and quality life.
- This food nurtures the body and mind, gives feeling of satisfaction.
- Diet gives ……………. Life Good complexion Happiness Intelligence Nourishment of body
- One should take food in proper quantity .
- This quantity of food depends on the power or ability of digestion.
- Whatever quantity of food taken gets digested in time without disturbing the normalcy should be taken as proper quantity.
- I should consume fresh & warm food which is easily digestible.
- Food should not be refrigerated except for those items which are perishable.
- Vegetables , fruits etc should not be cut and kept in the refrigerators they lose their nutrients on refrigeration.
- Canned food is much less on nutrition as compared to fresh food.
- Food with preservatives should be avoided.
- Warm food is a great appetiser as it stimulates taste buds.
- I should eat slowly so that the food digests well.
- I should eat only when the food taken before is completely digested.
- The food should be taken in good clean hygienic place.
- While eating , the order should be first sweet food then rest of the food which helps in easy digestion of sweet food.
- Refrigerated food should be preferably avoided.
Five types of diet are prohibited as per Ayurveda :
- I should not eat immediately after eating meals.
- I should not eat at inappropriate time.
- I should not take very little food.
- I should not mix healthy & unhealthy food together.
- I should not fast for a prolonged period.
- I should not take antagonistic diet.
For example :
- Mixing fruits & milk [ in fruit salad]
- I should not heat curd and eat it.
- I should not drink cold water after fatty diet.
- I should not eat uncooked or half cooked food.
I should plan my weekly Garbhkranti diet from :
- Garbhakranti milk and milk products
- Garbhakranti cereals
- Garbhakranti pulses
- Garbhakranti green leafy vegetables
- Garbhakranti fruit vegetables
- Garbhakranti fruits
- Garbhakranti dry fruits
- Garbhakranti egg
- Garbhakranti condiments & spices
I should consume the following :
- Garbhakranti iron rich food
- Garbhakranti folic acid rich food
- Garbhakranti protein rich food
- Garbhakranti calcium rich food
- Garbhakranti pro vitamin A rich food
- Garbhakranti vitamin B 1 rich food
- Garbhakranti vitamin B 2 rich food
- Garbhakranti vitamin B 3 rich food
- Garbhakranti vitamin B 6 rich food
- Garbhakranti vitamin C rich food
- Garbhakranti fibre rich food
As per specific conditions , I should plan my weekly diet :
- Garbhakranti morning sickness friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti diabetes friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti heart friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti stretch marks friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti breast milk secretion friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti appetite friendly pregnancy food
- Garbhakranti bowel friendly pregnancy food
Following special diet will be useful for morning sickness, heart, stretch marks, breast milk secretion, appetite, bowel in pregnancy. For diabetic women, diabetes friendly diet .